WinDirStat DiskSpace is an extremely useful freeware program for windows that shows you what files are consuming your hard disk space. Each file or folder is represented by a rectangle, the larger it is, the greater space it takes. If you are ever wondering about your hard-drive usage or where did your free space go this program is a godsend. Available for Windows 8, 7, and XP.
Free Download WinDirStat Portable Full Version For Windows 8.1,7, XP
WinDirStat DiskSpace Analyzer Main Features:
- Graphical representation of each file – Each file is intuitively represented by a rectangle which allows you to easily see which files are taking up a large amount of space.
- Color-coded Extensions map – Each file type is represented by a different color, which allows you to easily differentiate between each file type.
- External and networked drives support – This program can scan external drives such as flash drives and USB external HDD.
- Portable – This program allows portable installation, you can put it on a flash drive and run it on another computer without a problem.
- Easily delete files – You can delete files directly from the program, saving you time and mouse clicks.
WinDirStat Vs Spacesniffer
Windirstat and Spacesniffer are similar disk scanning software, but Windirstat is better. First, Windirstat is older and more mature than the two. It is more stable and it can run from Windows 95 up to Windows 8. Windirstat is also more efficient, it runs faster and has a lower memory footprint than Spacesniffer. Lastly, it is also a smaller download, 500kb for Windirstat vs 1.5Mb for Spacesniffer. There is no reason to pick Spacesniffer over Windirstat.
Possible Issues And solutions To Use WinDirStat DiskSpaceAnalyzer Software
Windirstat sometimes does not show the proper amount of free space. This is usually the result of improper permission and files hidden in the NTFS data stream, if you are encountering this problem right-clicking on the WinDirStat icon and clicking “Run as Administrator” usually solves the problem. If you are still encountering issues after that it could also be due to a corrupt HDD, run chkdsk and try again.
WinDirStat DiskSpace Analyzer Complete Installation Guide
Installation of this software is extremely easy. First, get it from a free download here and save it to your hard disk. After saving it to your hard disk just double click “windirstat1_1_2_setup.exe” to install. The installer will run, just press next while following the instruction. After it completes installation you can find the program on the start menu.